Small Onions : 20 nos
Toor dal : 1/4 cup
Tamarind : 1 small lime size
Sambar powder : 3/4 tsp
Chana Dal : 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds : 1 tbsp
Dry red chillies : 9 nos
Fenugreek seeds (Methi) : 1 tsp
Grated coconut : 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Oil and ghee
Salt to taste
Coriander and curry leaves : 1 tbsp, chopped fine
- Soak tamarind in hot water for about half an hour and extract the juice.
- Pressure cook toor dal and keep aside.
- Saute onions in a little ghee till transluscent. Add tamarind extract, sambar powder and salt and bring to a boil.
- Mash the toor dal well and add to the boiling sambar.
- Meanwhile, take 1 tsp oil in a kadai and add chana dal, coriander seeds, red chillies and fenugreek seeds and saute till golden brown. Turn off heat and add grated coconut and toss. Allow to cool a little and grind to a smooth paste by adding some water.
- Add this mixture to the sambar and allow to boil. If the sambar is too thick, dilute by adding some water. Check for salt.
- Add spluttered mustard seeds and 1 tsp ghee.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and curry leaves. Serve hot with rice.