I've been wanting to try this recipe for quite some time...years I must say. Its been in my recipe book for ages. I took it down from my neighbour's recipe book way back in 2006 and I tried it out just today!! It turned out really good. I recommend you to try it too. I'm sending this to the 'Bookmarked Recipes Every Tuesday' event hosted by Aipi of US Masala and Priya Mitharwal of Mharo Rajasthan.
Rice (either Basmati or Sona Masoori) : 2 cups
Peanuts : 1 cup
Oil : 2 tbsp
Chilli powder : 1/2 tsp
Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder : 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Onion : 2, sliced lengthwise
Lemon : 1
Mint leaves : 1 heaped handful
Coriander leaves : 1 handful
Green chillies : 2
Tomato : 1
Salt to taste
- Soak rice and peanuts together in 4.5 cups of water for 1 hour.
- Make a paste of mint and coriander leaves and set aside.
- Take 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker and add the soaked mixture and salt and cook for 1 whistle.
- Take the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add onions and saute for a few minutes.
- Add slit green chillies and tomatoes and saute till cooked.
- Add mint-coriander paste and dry spices and saute well. If the mixture gets dry sprinkle some water.
- Once done, add this to the cooked rice. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot with raita and papad.
Serves : 4