Boiled Rice (Idli rice) : 4 cups
Urad dal : 1 cup
Methi seeds : 1 tsp
Ice cubes : 4-5
Salt to taste
- Soak urad dal and methi seeds together and refrigerate.
- Soak rice separately and keep aside for 3-4 hours.
- Grind urad dal, methi seeds and ice cubes to a very smooth paste along with 3/4 cup water. If using a grinder, allow to grind well for atleast 25-30 minutes for best results. Once done, transfer to a vessel.
- Now grind the rice well using 2 cups of water.
- Once done, transfer to the same vessel. Add salt and mix well.
- Keep overnight in a warm place and allow to ferment.
- Once the batter rises, mix well and store in refrigerator.