Vermicelli : 1 cup
Curd : 2 cups
Milk : 1 cup
Butter : 1 tbsp
Oil : 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Green chillies : 4, finely chopped
Carrot : 1/4 cup, grated
Ginger : 1" piece, grated
Cilantro : 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Curry leaves : 5, finely chopped
Asafoetida : 1/4 tsp
Cashews : 10, broken into medium bits
Salt to taste
You can even add fruits like pomegranate and grapes if you like the sweet-spicy taste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and roast vermicelli till slightly brown. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves, asafoetida, cashews, grated ginger and carrot and saute till raw smell of carrot goes.
- Add roasted vermicelli and mix well. Add milk, 1.5 cups water, butter and salt to taste and stir. Allow to boil till the vermicelli is cooked and has absorbed most of the liquid. Keep stirring frequently to avoid the vermicelli getting burnt at the bottom.
- Let the mixture become luke warm (don't let it cool too much as the vermicelli will get stuck to each other and it will be difficult to mix) and add the curd and chopped cilantro and mix well. If you are adding fruits, do so at this point.
- Serve with any pickle. This goes really well with Udupi brand Red Chilli Pickle.