Chayote : 2
Moong dal : 1/2 cup
Grated coconut : 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Red chillies : 4
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
For the seasoning
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Chana dal : 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) : 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves : a few
Coconut oil : 1 tbsp
- Cut chayote into small cubes.
- Put the moong dal in a vessel and the chayote pieces on to of it. Add 1 cup water, cover the vessel with a plate and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Meanwhile grind grated coconut, red chillies and cumin seeds to a fine paste using water as needed.
- Once pressure releases, combine the ground paste and the boiled mixture. Add salt and turmeric powder and allow it to boil well and any extra water to evaporate.
- In a separate pan heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and chana dal and saute till golden brown.
- Turn off heat and add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add this seasoning to the kootu and mix well.
- Serve as an accompaniment for sambar/rasam rice or with chapathis.