I'm sending this recipe to Satya's 'Thank you Mom' event.
I love the way my mom makes Olan and this is a shortcut method. It has always been a great favorite with my friends too. This one's for you, Amma!
Yellow pumpkin : 1/4 kg
White pumpkin : 1/4 kg
Black-eyed peas (dry karamani) : 1/4 cup
Green chillies : 5-6, slit lengthwise
Milk : 1.5 cups
Coconut oil : 2 tsp
Curry leaves : 10 nos.
Salt to taste
- Wash, peel, and cut yellow and white pumpkins into 2 inch squares.
- Pressure cook the pumpkin squares along with black-eyed peas, green chillies, curry leaves and 1 cup water for 3 whistles.
- Once pressure releases, add milk and curry leaves and let it boil on medium flame till it thickens and the squash get all mashed up.
- Add salt and coconut oil and give it a good mix. Allow it to come to a boil and turn off heat.
- Serve with rotis or as an accompaniment for rice.
Serves : 4 (for people like Hari & me who love Olan, this makes only 2 servings!)