Masoor Dal (with husk) : 2 cups
Onion : 2 medium
Tomato : 2 small
Ginger : 2" piece
Garlic : 4 flakes
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Sambar powder : 2 tsp
Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves : 1/4 bunch
Salt to taste
Oil as required
- Grind onion, ginger and garlic - all raw - to a smooth paste.
- Take 2tbsp oil in a pressure cooker and add chopped tomatoes and the ground masala and saute well till the raw smell goes.
- Add sambar powder and garam masala and saute well.
- Toss in the uncooked masoor dal and add 2 cups of water.
- Give it a good mix and close the lid and put the weight.
- Pressure cook in medium for 3 whistles.
- When the pressure settles, open the cooker, add salt and let it boil till u get a thick consistency. It has to get really thick. Add a blob of butter (optional) and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rotis or parathas.