Onion : 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomato : 1 small, finely chopped
Tamarind : 1 gooseberry size
Sambar powder : 2 tsp
Garlic flakes : 4
Gingelly oil : 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds (Vendhayam) : 1/4 tsp
Jaggery : 1 tsp (can be substituted with sugar)
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves and curry leaves : 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add chopped onions, garlic and tomatoes and saute till onions become pink in colour and tomatoes are cooked.
- Add tamarind extract, sambar powder, salt and 3 cups water and allow to boil for 15-20 min or till the kozhambu becomes thick. At this point add jaggery and let it boil again.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Serve hot with rice and potato fry.