Butternut Squash : 1/2 small, diced
Raw banana (Vazhaikkai) : 1/4, cut lengthwise
Carrot : 1, cut lengthwise
Potato : 1, cut lengthwise
Brinjal : 1, diced
Coconut : 1/4 cup
Sesame seeds (Ellu) : 2 tsp
Toor dal : 2 tsp
Red chillies : 7-8
Fenugreek seeds (Vendhyam) : 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida : 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Tamarind : 1 gooseberry size
Coconut oil : 3 tsp
Vegetable oil : 2 tsp
Curry leaves : 5-6
Jaggery : 1 small gooseberry size
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
- In a pan, dry roast sesame seeds till it crackles and keep aside. Take 2 tsp vegetable oil in the same pan and roast toor dal, fenugreek seeds and red chillies till golden brown. Turn off heat and add coconut and saute for a minute. Grind this to a paste with a little water. Add the roasted sesame seeds and grind well again.
- Meanwhile, boil all vegetables together with salt, tamarind extract and turmeric powder.
- Add the ground mixture and mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add jaggery and boil again.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add to the kozhambu.
- Serve hot with rice, dosa or chapathi. Tastes good with toast too!