You can make this recipe using green beans (see pic), cluster beans (kothavarakkai) or banana flower (vazhaipoo). If making with banana flower, add a little jaggery also to the recipe in the end to ward off the bitter taste.
Beans : 1/4 kg
Toor Dal : 1/2 cup
Chana Dal : 1/4 cup
Asafoetida : 1/4 tsp
Red chillies : 8
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil as required
Coconut oil : 2 tsp
- Soak chana dal and toor dal together for 1 hr. Drain the water, add red chillies, asafoetida and some salt and grind to a smooth paste by adding as little water as possible.
- Steam this mixture on idli plates and break them so that there are no lumps. This is the usili. Keep aside
- Chop beans fine and boil with a little salt and water just enough for the beans to absorb and cook well under cover.
- Take coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add the usili and saute on medium flame for 10 min, tossing regularly to avoid burning.
- Add the boiled beans and mix well.
- Serve with mor kozhambu or thakkali kai pitla.