Green Tomato (Tomatillo) : 2 nos.
Toor Dal : 1/3 cup
Tamarind : juice extracted from 1 grape size piece
Grated Coconut : 1/2 cup (i always prefer fresh coconut, however u can also use coconut flakes)
Sambar powder : 2 tsp
Coconut oil : 4 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves : 5-6
Salt to taste
To grind to a paste
Chana Dal (Kadalai paruppu) : 1.5 tsp
Coriander seeds : 1.5 tsp
Red chillies : 4-5
Take 2 tsp vegetable oil in a pan and saute the above ingredients together till the dal turns slightly brown. Turn off the heat and add half of the grated coconut and toss a few times. Grind this to a smooth paste by adding a little water.
- Pressure cook toor dal well and keep aside.
- Cut tomatillos into medium cubes. Put this in a deep bottomed pan and add the tamarind extract, sambar powder and salt and bring to a boil till tomatillos are cooked and slightly mushy.
- Mash the toor dal well and add to the above.
- Then add the coconut mixture and allow to boil for 5 min.
- Meanwhile, take coconut oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the remaining grated coconut and saute for 1 min and add to the sambar.
- Serve hot with rice, dosa or chapathi.